Methylene Chloride is a colorless, volatile, liquid with a sweet odor. It is used as a paint and varnish remover, solvent for plastics, degreasing agents, propellants, and blowing agents. This highly toxic chemical is on the Right to Know Hazardous Substance List because it is cited by OSHA, ACGIH, DOT, NIOSH, NTP, DEP, IARC, IRIS, NFPA and EPA. Methylene chloride is a listed hazardous waste under the California Hazardous Waste Control Act. The law requires hazardous waste to be disposed at a permitted hazardous waste disposal or treatment facility. This means all waste created from using methylene chloride as a stripping agent requires special disposal. Not to mention all the direct health risks associated with using this chemical.
- Methylene Chloride can affect you when inhaled and by passing through the skin
- Methylene Chloride should be handled as a CARCINOGEN and MUTAGEN--WITH EXTREME CAUTION.
- Contact can severely irritate and burn the skin and eyes with possible eye damage.
- Inhaling methylene chloride can irritate the nose, throat and lungs.
- Higher exposure can cause headache, nausea, dizziness, weakness, unconsciousness, and even death.
- Methylene Chloride may damage the liver and affect the kidneys and brain.
EcoSolve Americas Inc is a dedicated company that provides a line of paint and coating removal products free of harsh and toxic chemicals like methylene chloride making them completely safe for consumer use. These products are EcoLogo Green Certified as a safe alternative to chemical stripping and eco-preferable for the environment. The waste created from stripping with EcoSolve products is completely safe to dispose of in your regular garbage (provided material does not contain lead). Visit the EcoSolve website http://www.ecosolveamericas.com/ to get safe alternatives for your projects! EcoSolve has taken this issue to the next level and created a petition to ban the use of methylene chloride in consumer products. Follow link to show your support and sign https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/federal-minister-of-health-ban-the-use-of-methylene-chloride-in-products-for-consumer-use Protecting consumers from carcinogenic chemicals like methylene chloride can prevent cancer and save lives! Thanks for reading with your support we can make a difference!